Stampede Park Entrance
The theme for this mural is the 1950s and 60s entrance to Stampede Park. The color and excitement was heightened by the location of Elbow River Camp and its traditional tipis in Sun Tree Park.
Did You Know?
- The first Elbow River Camp at the Stampede was held in 1912. The first Stampede lasted six days and had approximately 1,800 First Nations peoples in attendance
- In 1923, the tipis were located by the entrance to the Sun Tree Park and adjacent to a replica of a Hudson's Bay Company post
- In 1974, the Stampede expanded and the Elbow River Camp moved to its second location at the south end of Stampede Park, along the Elbow River
- Today, the Stampede's First Nations Events committee, in partnership with the tipi owners, is responsible for all of the programming at the beautiful Elbow River Camp. For the 10 days of Stampede, the nations of Treaty 7, the Stoney Nakoda, Kainai, Siksika, Piikani and Tsuut'ina, raise their tipis and share their cultures with visitors from mear and far.