Tipi

The First Nations of Treaty 7 have always been an important part of the Calgary Stampede. In 2012, the Calgary Stampede centennial year, this piece was unveiled at the main entrance commemorate and celebrate the century-long relationship between the First Nations and the Calgary Stampede. Designed to look like a half tipi, the semi-circle design depicts the historic iconography that represents the Kainai, Piikani, Siksika, Stoney Nakoda and Tsuut’ina. The sculpture sits on the original site of Indian Village, Sun Tree Park.

Did You Know?

  • In 1912, Indigenous peoples were not allowed to celebrate their cultures on their own reserves because of Indian Act laws and regulations. The Stampede was one of the only places they were welcomed to participate and celebrate their traditions publicly because of a special agreement Guy Weadick and the Calgary Stampede made with the government.
  • Indian Village is organized by volunteers on the Stampede's Indian Events committee, Stampede employees and the tipi families who camp at the Village during the Stampede.
  • There is constant consultation about the name of the Village and if it should be changed. The tipi owners have indicated that Indian Village is a place and a name with great historical significance and honours the role of Guy Weadick and the relationship with the Stampede throughout the 20th century.
Artist
N/A
Type
Steel Sculpture
Donors
Calgary Stampede
Installed
2012

Location

BMO Centre (southwest corner)

View on Art Walk

Share